Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sabbatical

I want to take a sabbatical. First I had to look the word up. I need all the ammo out there to convince my agency.

The word originally referred to resting the land after 7 years, as in not planting crops that year. So now that meaning has evolved into taking a leave of absence from a job, and again after 7 years according to Webster's. How long have I been on staff? Oh yeah, 7 years! In December it will be 8 years. Not always full time. Still, 7 years. To me that's relevant.

When would I need to take it? I think this summer. Starting the first of June, returning in September after Labor Day. Three full months. That's not so long really. I wouldn't want to impose on colleagues though. The thought of them having to pick up my slack. Not cool. I could run it past them before I run it past my boss.

I wonder what Paul thinks?

No comments: