Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Difference of opinion/perception

Question: How is it that two people can look at the same picture and see something entirely different?

Answer: I wish I knew.

I guess when two people have come to look at the same picture, it makes a difference what pictures they've already looked at. That can change perception.

I guess it also can change perception if one person saw the picture last year and the other person viewed it 10 years ago and so on. Even though the picture is the same, perception evolves.

I guess it also can make a difference if one person has studied the artist and the specific piece of work and the other person hasn't.

I guess it also can affect perception if one person respects the artist and the other doesn't.

Ok. So there are some explanations why one person can see something the other person doesn't see. Now the questions become: Is this OK? What if the differences generate bad feelings on both sides? What if one person is especially attached to the picture, but the other person can take it or leave it?

Why can't we all just get along?

No comments: