Saturday, November 7, 2009

GOM and Grandma Mary

Paul has become GOM (Grumpy old Man).. in mostly the past couple of years. He resisted at first, now wears the title proudly. So, when our granddaughter Addison Mae Scott was born a month ago, it was natural that he become gom-gom. Not sure if that will take. But that's what he's being called. I don't have an official grandmother nickname. I have two other women who will also be my grandchildren's grandmothers (huh?) and I know for sure that Mee Mee is taken. This is more of a Southern tradition - a very serious one. I called my own grandmothers Grandma L and Grandma E for their last names. My mom is grandma Shirley to my kids and Paul's beloved mother was Grandma Lew. I kind of like or at least am more familar with that tradition. However, when I answer the question "What are you going to be called?", I say 'probably 'grandma'' it doesn't seem to register with anyone here. O well. I suspect Addie and my future grandkids will have something to say about that.

The other question I am asked: what is it like? It's sweet. I dont' say that I am transformed as much as it feels kind of natural... watching my wonderful daughter Andrea and her husband Jack become parents and sometimes pretend they know what they are doing, it's cool. I can say that I cried a little, but didn't sob I think because it was also FUN! My son John flew in from Rhode Island just to meet his niece and daughter Jenny Cole and her husband Michael Cole came in for the weekend from Austin. THAT was heartwarming too, watching them take to Addie.

Sigh. I wasn't going to do this blog, but here I am sitting next to Addie (babysitting) and I wanted to write something about her and the past month. So my goal is to post some pics for friends and family and maybe continue. Which is why I named this blog Mary and Paul: The next stage. Might need to journal about some other stuff coming down the pike.

No comments: