Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Propaganda is propaganda




OK. At first I admit I laughed. Then I thought about it. This can't be real. So I set out to find the truth. I just finished my exhaustive (5 miniutes) investigation of this picture. What appears to be likely the truth: The cross has been photoshopped. The picture of Sarah Palin wrapped in flag is likely real, but an old one taken most likely when she was mayor of Wassilla. Pre-national stage.

I believe the Lewis quote. Of course. That's not the problem. And I'm not a Palin fan, as expressed in previous posting (Going Rogue, 11/15/09 and She's back, 3/29/10). The problem is I'm not a fan of political propaganda. I don't have the stomach for it. Propaganda is propaganda, no matter which side is dishing.

Context is everything when delivering a message. In the right context the above picture and quote work. They're funny, it's political satire. Political cartoon. In the wrong context, such as mass fowarded email, the satire is too far removed. I mean, too many people now think Palin REALLY wrapped herself in the American flag while holding a cross. And that she did it recently. That gives it a whole new meaning. Now we really hate Palin, right? Wow, is she that stupid? No, she is NOT that stupid. Well... in this situation for sure she gets my vote.

Maybe it's my journalism background. I really hate what's happened with truth these days. And I also hate the demise of political satire. There was a news report about that recently. As newspapers lose their influence, political cartoons suffer too. That's sad. I am going to try to remember to post some cartoons from time to time. Like this one:

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/sarahpalin/ig/Sarah-Palin-Cartoons/Sarah-Palin-Shower.0ztD.htm?r=et

1 comment:

andi said...

your silly!!