Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Meet my newest best friend (besides Paul)

I got a personal email yesterday from my newest best friend Geraldine Brooks. She is a Pulitzer Prize winning author of the book March. She is very talented and super smart. And, she is now my newest best friend. That might be news to her, but no matter. She returns my email faster than almost all of my family members (besides Paul). She reads my email, unlike some of my family and friends. And, she uses the word mum. She's an Aussie. I believe anyone who calls their mother mum is somehow more civilized or friendly or down to earthy. Right? I am going to start closing my texts, emails, etc. to my kids with mum.

I am thinking now that some people will not believe that I have gotten a personal communique from a Pulitzer Prize winner. That I am not worthy. Here's the initial email I sent to Geraldine (via her publisher) after reading 3 of her books:

I wanted to say thanks to Geraldine Brooks.

I count on my mother to keep me current on good reading. She and my father are founding members of a public library in Lakeside, Montana. My mother was a teacher, but should have been a librarian.

Anyway, my mom recommended People of the Book recently. I bought the book - ever obedient. I read it and then read March, and yesterday I finished Year of Wonders. When my mom is right, she is right. It's been awhile since I have been so excited about reading. For that, I wanted to thank the author.


So here's the text I received from Geradline Brooks herself:

Thanks so much for your lovely comments. Say hi --and thanks--to your mum from me!
geraldine Brooks


So there you go. I have lovely comments. Geraldine says so. And, she's my newest smartest friend (besides Paul).

Mary (mum to Andrea, Jenny and John)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

mum you are silly... you should have been a writer!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Andrea. (sign your name when you post silly)

Jenny Cole said...

Very exciting!! You altogether lovely!