Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Veteran's Day?

Just listening to a morning show talk about this current group of veterans.  There are 2.4 million of them.  They were described as "ghosts" going to war and returning largely unnoticed by us - the public - unlike wars of the past when returning vets were seen and heard.

It made me think about what I would say to the 2 young vets I work with, one who recently served in Iraq.  Saying Happy Veteran's Day just doesn't sound right.  It's what I said earlier this morning to my dad and husband.  But this new group of vets, I just don't think Happy Veteran's Day will cut it. It seems a little superficial.  Hmmmmm...

Good job? Nope, doesn't sound right.
Thanks for going?  Nope.
Don't forget your free donut at Krispy Kreme today!  Getting closer.

How about, thanks for serving and don't forget your free donut at Krispy Kreme!

That's the one.  It's got a better balance.  Sincere AND superficial.  Not too sappy, but a little sappy.  And, I'm sorry, but donuts always make everything better.

So.  Just to be clear, what we're saying is, please take this free donut as a token of our gratitude for you putting your life and sanity on the line for our freedom. 

The truth is, words and deed are not adequate to express the country's gratitude.  But they are a start.

For the record, to all veterans, including my dad, my husband and co-workers: Thanks for serving and protecting our freedom. 

No comments: