Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Parting is such sweet sorrow

I fired my cardiologist.  Sort of.

Yesterday I had an appointment with a new cardiologist, someone who had been recommended.  Dr. Sneha Patel.  I didn't want to fire my old (literally) cardiologist until I met Dr. Patel.  I can tell you for sure now, it's out with the old and in with the new. 

So I told Dr. Patel I felt disloyal to my old doc and gave her some rambling explanation for wanting to switch: wanting to be more proactive, wanting to live, wanting a doc who recalls my case after years and years of being his patient.  She smiled (good response).  I didn't want to be highly critical of my ex doc because that is a turn off.  I mean, he did save my life, for which I am grateful.  And, I really bonded with his PA, or whatever her degree is.  She was always responsive and I felt well cared for... by her.

So now I am 11 years out from my triple bypass and I want to really take part in my health, living longer, etc.  Enter Dr. Patel. She repeated what I had said and asked for clarifications, making no assumptions.  Listening.  I like that in a doc. And she is just smart.  I asked her why she went into cardiology and part of her answer was she wanted a balance of working with patients and working with "the heart."  Which apparently is a pretty cool thing - and important part of the anatomy - to get to work with in the field of medicine. 

Oh, and would you believe I was in and out in 1 hour, 15 minutes?  That is the typical wait time in my previous doc's lobby before getting called back.  Then add another 30 minute or longer wait in the exam room.  

Thanks to my previous doc, especially his staff.   I am grateful for their kindness and care.   I wish I could say goodbye in person, but that would just be awkward. 

2 comments:

JohnStick said...

She sounds super nice! Did she tell you to go vegan? If so, I'll join you this summer!

Anonymous said...

I am not going vegan...Those people are wierd