Thursday, September 23, 2010

Fair enough

I believe that most people living outside of Texas generally hate Texas. My best bud Diane who lives in Iowa doesn't pull any punches. I have caught her mimicking a Southern accent as she references something about Texas, as though people with accents are dumb. Nothing subtle about her meaning. Then the Steven Colbert Report this week included clips of the Leander, Tx, school superintendent talking (with a Southern accent) about the district policy of requiring permission slips from parents for their students to watch the President's annual address to students. Again, making fun of the South, and Texas specifically. Even one of my relatives said "I would never live in Texas," in such a manner that made you think a person would have to be insane to even consider such a crazy idea. I could go on with examples of the Texas haters.

I don't take these comments personally. I also rarely point out the prejudice of the accent haters. As a South Dakotan living in Texas for 20 years, I appreciate that this state can give off a bad vibe. The state did produce George W. and the killer cheerleader mom. Don't get me started on our governor and his crazy secession talk.

But I gotta say, whether you believe it or not, this state has plenty to brag about. One of our favorite things about Texas is the State Fair. It's in Dallas and is the largest fair in the country. See, that's the kind of talk that turns other people off. I get it. But really, the State Fair in one of the things we look forward to all year. In fact, the opening day is tomorrow and Paul and I are going to be there when the gates open. We've mapped out our activities: creative arts building, dog show, bird show, car show, and then check out the new wacky fun stuff for sale. Last year we bought wooden frogs that sound exactly like a frog. We also got Sham Wows. The frogs continue to work. The Sham Wows don't. The year before I got a tryke scooter. Can't wait to buy something weird.

Of course there's also the food. I only want a corny dog this year. Don't care about all the fried beer or fried butter. Just a corny dog. And because it's the first day, it will be fried in fresh grease.

I will likely post pictures of the fair later this weekend. It's a great place to people watch. Like a wedding: it brings together a strange mix of folks. Wait until you see the photos before you pass judgment. That's all I ask.

1 comment:

JohnStick said...

Pictures?! What did you get that was weird?