Monday, April 2, 2012

Gotcha!

Yesterday, April Fools' Day, I finally got Paul!

It may have taken 30 years, but it was way worth the wait just to be able to say those magic words, "April Fools!!!"

Earlier in the week, I had sought advice from all three children.  The day before I had my plan in place.  The ruse: a yard ornament is missing.  I chose the flying pigs we got at the State Fair.  I figured he cares about that one more than the others. 

Here's how it went down:

It's early morning, we've both been up for awhile, but less than an hour.  I take my place at the front window with Paul just a few steps away in the kitchen.

"Paul, did you move the flying pigs?"  Not too much alarm, just loud enough so he could hear.

"No," he says.

"I don't see them.  You didn't move them?"

Paul starts toward the front window, I can't believe this is working.  He says, "I didn't do anything with them.  Someone probably stole 'em."  He now seems a little annoyed.

 My dear husband then separates the drapes and says with SUCH a tone, "There they are, they're still there ..."  In that moment he knows what's coming.

GOTCHA, SUCKAHHH!  "April Fools!!"  I get to say it with MY tone, as in tone of satisfaction.

To his credit, Paul concedes, "You got me good."

We have an agreement, by the way, that the first person to fool the other April 1st is that year's winner.  No more April Fools gigs allowed for the rest of the day.

Being the 2012 winner felt great, I'm not gonna lie.  What's that Survivor motto? Outlast, outwit, outplay.  It felt a little like that.  Without the million dollars.





No comments: