Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Cowabunga!

This morning I am texting son John about today's shocking revelation that the fictional Springfield of The Simpsons is based on Springfield, Oregon.   One of the best kept secrets in TV - and in our family - is exposed by....  Matt Groening, the show's creator. 

What lasting affect will this have on our lives?  Absolutely zero.  Why did I care to let my son know?  Because it's something that connects us.  (I should let Jenny and Michael know, too).  It's also the kind of stuff I find myself doing during these days of unemployment.

Yesterday I got to go to Abilene for the second time in two weeks to watch high school soccer playoffs.  The day before yesterday I spent hours making my own cookie cutter of a whale, then baking cookies.  Hours in the kitchen.  Me.  I also have been making revisions to a book started 2 years ago.   Today I am going to hunt for Sweet 16 charms for that same soccer team who got my whale cookies because they have advanced to the Texas Sweet Sixteen.  I can take my sweet time doing it too.  Oh, and I also have to make those whale cookies again.  (hmmm.  I think maybe I will just go to my bakery this time.  Who am I trying to impress?)

While this not working is working for me, it definitely is time I find something in my field of social work whether it pays or not.  All play and no work makes Mary a dull girl. 









No comments: