Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Giving thanks...




Yesterday our area - North Texas and Arlington specifically - was hit by multiple tornadoes. Amazing, no one was killed. Several people were hurt and hundreds of homes and businesses destroyed.  The footage above is the tornado that likely hit Andrea and Jack's neighborhood.  I stole it off YouTube.

Paul's and my home in Arlington was not near a touch-down, Andrea and Jack's home in Arlington was.  Only their dogs know what it felt like when their neighborhood got hit, because none of the humans thankfully were home. Andrea said it looked as though the tornado jumped over their house as so many of their neighbors lost roofs but their house was missing just a few shingles. 

I was in Abilene when all this was happening.  Andrea, too.  She was coaching her high school team's first post-season soccer game.  Successfully, by the way and now it's Midland on Friday. 

During my 4-hour drive home I heard from family and friends in Iowa, Nevada, South Dakota, Washington, and Montana.  Not to mention multiple texts and phone calls from friends and family under attack, such as Linda Carrier who had to corral multiple grades of students in one room for two hours.  Such as my son-in-law Jack who called to assure me my granddaughters were safe.  Such as my darling husband who called to say he could see a tornado from his 15th-floor office building in downtown Dallas.  Get away from the damn window! 

Even my 84-year-old dear mother sent a text.  I think hers was the final of the day.  We already had communicated earlier, but late evening, one more time she had to ask "Everybody Ok?"

Yes ma, we are fine.  Thanks for caring and thanks to everyone else for your concern. 

I love you all!!

No comments: