Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Extended family

It used to be when a person talked about having extended family coming to live with them, they were talking about an aging parent or grandparent.  Now when someone says they opened their doors to extended family, it's likely they are talking about adult children. 

Why are we so bent on showing our children the door when they reach 18?  In many (most?) cultures, families don't have that magical age when their child must pack up and leave.  That to me makes sense.  It's more humane and family friendly.  I think, too, it can give the adult child that extra bit of time needed to grow up, giving them a leg up on life.  Kind of like redshirting.   Puts them in a better position to be successful at everything.

As an empty nester for some time now, I can look at this issue more objectively.  I can see what value children, by children I mean grown children, bring to the household.  For example, tech support.  When you need to replace a computer battery, who you gonna call?  Nobody because your adult child can do it with eyes blindfolded and one hand tied behind his back. If you have pets, adult children make wonderful animal and house sitters for those times you want to get away.  And it's nice to have that extra someone in the house to let you know when you are acting strange.  The other day Paul asked if it would be weird if he walked the dogs wearing his swim trunks.  I said of course not.  A third opinion would have been nice.

The point being, don't be ashamed of the number of generations living under one roof.  The larger the number, the greater the pride.  A truly extended family says there is love for family.  It says that there is respect for the family unit.  How can that be wrong? 

Our son is graduating law school in May and, with his degree, he also will be getting a gazillion dollars of debt.  My dear son, I just want to let you know, your room awaits.  And, my computer needs a new battery.

3 comments:

John Stickney said...

You could always just pay for me to live someplace tropical. It'd be just like I was living with you guys!

Unknown said...

It would be nothing like living with us...

Diane said...

I want a photo of the Stickney walking the dogs in his swim trunks.....