Tuesday, August 9, 2016

How do you spell relief? O-l-y-m-p-i-c-s

Isn't it magic how you can get completely absorbed in a sport you never thought you cared about, such as shooting or fencing. And women's rugby, a first-time event in the Olympics.

We are drawn in not so much by the sport, but by the athlete. Awed by their self-discipline and inspired by their singular mission: to represent their country, medal or no medal.  And this year there's even a team of refugees that includes a young Syrian woman who swam a boat filled with refugees to safety. Her performance in Olympic waters wasn't good enough to advance, but it sure inspired the world.

The Olympics this summer deeply contrast with another competition: our never-ending presidential election. I personally have Trump fatigue. I know others have Clinton fatigue. For me, it's time to step back. This morning I deactivated my Facebook account. What was left of it anyway after already un-following half of my friends. I am sure I won't be missed.

So thank you, Olympians. You represent what is good and you inspire hope for the future. It's pretty hard to be cynical watching a young woman who was born to an addict and then rescued and adopted by her grandfather and step-grandmother in Spring, Tx., compete on the world stage.

Nope. Nothing conspiratorial about Simone Biles and the rest of the incredible women's gymnastic team. Except that they may be conspiring to bring us all to tears!

No comments: