Thursday, February 28, 2013

Here we go again...

Did you see the Oscars last Sunday?

Argo was OK, but Best Pic?  I don't think so.  Bernie got robbed.  I mean Jack Black and Shirley MacLaine together in a movie?  That is brilliant, as was the movie.

That's not what I wanted to write about, I digress. 

What pissed me off was a comment made about Bradley Cooper's mom.  One of the Red Carpet presenters called her "cute."  Cute because she is so short.  Awwwww.  Look at her next to her son.  She's so cute.

This falls on the heels of a similar comment made on the Today Show by another TV person.  A couple standing outside with a sign about their anniversary and this perky TV person asks how long they have been married.  They say 30 something years.  As she walks away she says "they are so cute."

Again with the cute.  To describe us oldies.  It could be a term of endearment if it were so damn  patronizing. 

We aren't cute.  We are aged.  Believe you me, there's not that much cuteness associated with aging.  (Today UPS delivered some new product that is supposed to fill in my thinning hair - how not cute is that?).

We deserve to be treated with some dignity.  Even respect.  NOT to be called cute.  Here's what they  should have said:

Red Carpet: There's Bradley Cooper with his mother.  What an exciting night for them.  She must be very proud.  

Today Show: You have been married a long time.  Congratulations. 

Now I have to go see about covering up some thinning areas on my head.



No comments: