Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Scary thoughts on Halloween

If today is Halloween, then tomorrow is .... NOVEMBER! 

What the what!?

2012 is just about history.  Sigh.  It doesn't make sense that we already are at the end of a year that just started. 

Age, you know, compounds the speed of time. The older we get the faster time flies.  We blink, and presto, our children are adults.  We blink, and presto, we have grandchildren.  We blink, and presto.... (fill in the blank).

When we turned 40, we figure we have lived half our life.  Midway.  That's not so bad.  There's still a balance of time left on the clock. 

At 50, the balance tips against us: we are on the downside of life, we know that. We become more aware of the ticking of the clock.  Fifty is the age we begin to calculate the remaining years we have left: 20? maybe 30 if we stop eating badly?  maybe 35 if we start working out every day?  Tick, tock.

This next year Paul and I hit 60.  It's downhill....  wait a minute.

Truth: I am not that freaked out about 60.  I think maybe Paul is more so, but he is playing racquetball almost every day now and just got a tattoo.  I just spent the weekend in Rhode Island and then drove to Austin for the following weekend.  Did the train and subway thing all by myself!  Oh yes I did.  We have lots of plans for just the coming week. 

Aging is liberating in so many ways.  We have chosen which life lessons to follow at this point.  We love the family we have made and are grateful every day for what we have. 

It's still true about time passing more quickly as you age!  That I wish I could change.  But my life and where I am at?  I wouldn't change a thing! 

No comments: