Monday, May 7, 2012

So busy doing Nothing

Since unemployment - end of February - I feel my time has increased in value.  I am sooo busy doing Nothing.  Nothing with a capital N.  Sometimes I also do nothing with a lowercase n, mostly watch too much TV, YouTube, FB.  But the capital N nothings are the kinds of things that give me a sense of accomplishment these days.

The capital N nothings are the things you list when asked the, "What did you do today?" question.  Most days my answer: I wrote a little bit (this blog counts).  I cleaned something.  I exercised.  I babysat a grandchild, which I do almost every day now for a couple of hours.  I drove someone to the airport (did that once because I was the one available during the day).  I ran errands.  I had lunch with friends (that counts). One day I helped a lost and wandering elderly woman in our neighborhood find her way home (called 911 and rode in police car because she wouldn't get in unless I did).  

These are things I consider capital N nothings.  There are, however, other capital N nothings I have rediscovered.  They are accomplishments as well, but harder to quantify.  Such as thinking.  Reading something and giving it more than a couple of seconds of thought. Then reading more about that something.  Listening. There seems to be more listening, which kind of overlaps with thinking.  More listening to music, more listening to people, more conversations with family members.  Stuff like that.  Capital N stuff. 

I am so fortunate that I can take this time to do Nothing, most people cannot.  I don't need the income to pay the mortgage or put food on the table.  I have a sugar daddy for that.

Doing Nothing adds value to my life ... for now.  The master plan is to be back at work by the end of this year.  In the meantime, I'm gonna keep very busy doing Nothing!!!

 



.  



No comments: