Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Drug dealings

So last night we got out EXPENSIVE  heart worm and flea and tick meds to give to our three dogs.  These meds are supposed to be given monthly.  I say supposed to because we aren't always on it every month.  Last night, we were on it.   We had just enough supplies to cover our darling doggies.

Recap: We have a 9 year old beagle named Baxter, an 8 year old beagle named Tex, and an 8 year old border collie named Mika.  Understand this is not our first rodeo dispensing 2 different meds to 3 dogs.  Plus, Tex  gets thyroid pills twice a day.  We've walked this path.  Or so you'd think.

Paul and I gather the 3 dogs in the area of the kitchen where meds disguised as treats are dispensed.  There is, as you could imagine, building anticipation.  Tails wagging, little bottoms unable to stay seated from sheer excitement.  

I commence to deliver meds to Tex.  She takes both heart worm and the smelly flea and tick easily.  Tex is, well, the greedy one. There's no struggle with the disgusting flea and tick pill.  It smells horrible.  No matter to Tex.  It was covered in bread.  Heart worm pills are yummy, no bread needed. 

So I say to Paul Tex is done, or something like that and the next thing I see is Paul handing Tex a second dosage of heart worm!  Too late, Tex is not gonna turn that down.  Did I mention she is quick? 

Paul!  I gave her one already.

I thought you gave her flea and tick?

Yes, heart worm too.  Both pills. 

I thought ... now we don't have enough heart worm pills. 

We are left with Sophie's Choice: which of our beloveds gets the protection?  Which one doesn't?   Bax or Mika?  Before I can offer a suggestion, such as halving the pill, Paul has tossed the pill to .... you guessed it, Mika.  Mika the Wonder Dog.  Mika the subject of Paul's artwork.  I wonder: if it were between ME and Mika?  I can't go there.

The damage is done.  We now turn our attention to the lone stinky flea and tick pill left to dispense to Baxter.  Now,  Baxter has discriminating tastes.  She is no Tex.  She is gonna detect the stink under the bread and no way is she going to eat it.  Going in, I know this.  Paul should know this.  All we have to do is coax and outsmart a tiny beagle.

Of course my darling and brilliant Paul covers the disgusting thing with soft bread and then with carefree abandon, TOSSES it to Bax who is standing next to ... you guessed it, Tex.  We can't even get out a "NO Tex!" before she has it swallowed!!  Within a nanosecond of Baxter rejecting the gift, Tex swoops in to accept it for her.  Gone.  Another double dose.

A little stunned, Paul and I look at each other.  What just happened?  What do we do now?  We look at Bax.  We look at Tex.  Did I mention these are expensive pills?   Will Tex OD?  Will Bax get fleas?  I can't stop laughing. 

Twelve hours later Tex shows no signs of distress.  Maybe she spent one of her nine lives (see previous posts about Tex really being a cat... Hermaphrocat).  Bax will get her meds today AFTER Paul and I communicate.  First course of action: Put Tex in bedroom lockdown until mission accomplished!











3 comments:

Diane said...

Do not know how that could have been any funnier....any dog person will really appreciate it..and tell Paul, for God's sake, quit throwing those expensive nuggets -of- monster- killers up in the air! At least not when there is more than one dog in jump range! You would think he just got these dogs yesterday..! I get the liquid flea/tick med that I put on Amanda's neck once a month...and a chewable heartworm treat...seems a little less slap stick then your house...course my two idiot brother cats...Bob and Ted would eat anything that AManda is supposed to eat...whether or not it tastes good...love you...Deek

Diane said...

Do not know how that could have been any funnier....any dog person will really appreciate it..and tell Paul, for God's sake, quit throwing those expensive nuggets -of- monster- killers up in the air! At least not when there is more than one dog in jump range! You would think he just got these dogs yesterday..! I get the liquid flea/tick med that I put on Amanda's neck once a month...and a chewable heartworm treat...seems a little less slap stick then your house...course my two idiot brother cats...Bob and Ted would eat anything that AManda is supposed to eat...whether or not it tastes good...love you...Deek

Diane said...

THis is how pathetic I am about this Blog business...I post my lousy comment TWO times....major loon at work here!