Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Family business

Yesterday I emailed my resume and letter to a potential employer.  I'm job hunting.  Already.  But that's another blog.

So in the cover letter, I conclude to this organization that serves the Fort Worth School District that I enjoy the school setting.  I explain that my two daughters are teachers, my mom was a teacher as were both of her parents, my grandparents.

This got me thinking.   

First.  I am the mother of TWO TEACHERS!  A kids' first authority outside the family.  The definition of power and influence.  I raised two of 'em.  OK, Paul was there, too.  But most people, me included, revere their child's teacher and now my daughters are on the receiving end of that reverence.  My daughters likely would not use the word reverence in describing their treatment by all parents.  But this is my blog.

I guess my perspective may be a little old school.  I had nothing but respect for my children's teachers, even those who were undeserving.  They still were teachers and I respect them for that, it's part of my DNA.  When I step into a school my persona changes.  I see a teacher, I smile at them.  I am polite and respectful, fearful even. I suspect that part of this personal transformation could also be the result of having been invited to the Principal's office in every school I attended.  Again, another blog.

Second.  My mom gets to realize the family legacy lives.  She has two granddaughters and a grandson teaching (the son of my late brother Frank).  Molders of future generations.  How cool is that?

We are not inclined to look at our mothers and grandmothers as shapers of careers.  Indeed.  That's what has happened in my family and I couldn't be more proud.  And a little fearful.

No comments: