Monday, January 30, 2012

What would Barb West do?

Tex had a seizure yesterday.  A big one.  She's seized before, but they were small ones.  Her seizures are caused by excessive excitement fueled by anxiety. 

I can relate.

I, too, suffer from combination excitement and anxiety.  It's not stress, even though it may have similarities to stress.  Like Tex, it's in my DNA, so there's not a lot I can do to change the onset, but I can alter my response - mind over excitement/anxiety. 

I don't always succeed in altering my response.  My colleague says I'm stubborn.  I think that's being kind.

Sometimes the "stubbornness" fits a situation, sometimes not.  Over the years I've learned tricks to filter my stubborn side.  I try to think of the people I admire, such as my mentor Barb West and wonder how they would handle themselves. That helps.  Also, think outside myself.  It's not about me.  That helps.  Deep breathing works, too. 

This week I fear is going to challenge my ability to overcome stubbornness.  I don't want to foam at the mouth as my precious Tex did yesterday.  I also want to stand for what is right.  I wonder what Barb West would do?

No comments: