Thursday, March 3, 2011

The number you are calling has been disconnected...

Remember the good ole' days when phones were NOT the nucleus of your life?  Nobody thought about their phones once they walked out of the front door - or back door.  Who cared back then what color or shape and size?  Yeah, there were some fancy phones, but most folks all had the exact same model: a black rotary phone.  When I was a kid, we had to share a phone line with the neighbors.  Our ring was different than theirs so you would know which calls belonged to your family.  And, you could pick up the phone with the intent to make a call and hear your neighbors talking...  and listen in on their conversations... not that I ever did that.

I was transported back in time these past few weeks because I started getting harassing phone calls in the middle of the night.  Mostly nobody there, once heavy breathing and one time he left a message hissing, "stupid bitch."  Old school, right?  I didn't think these guys still were out there what with caller ID and all. Of course we don't have caller ID, so I had to take the phone off the hook at night. The phone company, by the way, doesn't have a record of incoming calls like you'd think they would watching CSI, NCIS and all the others

We are not entirely sure what the motive is/was of this caller.  I say fetish driven, Paul thinks maybe something or someone related to his work.  Whatever the reason, we have changed our home phone number after having the same number for 20 years.  I cannot give out the new one. We don't use it anyway.  I never answer the home phone because everyone I want to talk to has the number to my cell phone, which is nearby almost 24/7.  I am looking at it right now.  Red with a a teenie-tiny keyboard that slides out.  My ring tone is Hakuna Matata from Lion King.  A long way from the Lochridge family ring.

While I miss the old days of not being attached to the phone, no way would I go back.  Maybe a week removed would be nice...

No comments: