Sunday, March 6, 2011

"Here's your suitcase"

The other day when we were at the firing range (see previous post), I needed to show ID (good idea) and had left my purse in the card (bad idea).  Paul volunteered to fetch it, when he returned he put in on the counter saying, "Here's your suitcase."   He does this for the benefit of the gun guy behind the counter.  Manly statement.  Did I react?  Naw.  Not in that moment.

Got me thinking.  You really can age a relationship by reactions to same situations.

30 years ago:
"Here's your suitcase," Paul says dropping my purse on the counter.

The gun man heard him say that!  I am completely mortified!  He must think I am some idiot chick who carries tons of nonsense in her purse, instead of the serious thinking woman I am.  I have really serious thoughts... most of the time.  Seriously.

15 years ago:
"Here's your suitcase," Paul says dropping my purse on the counter.

God, he's annoying, I flash him a dirty look. The silent ride home is a prelude to what's coming later: an argument about the same old shit. 

Last weekend:
"Here's your suitcase," Paul says dropping my purse on the counter. 

On the ride home Paul and I review the shooting, talking about how fun it was, exciting, yada, yada. Then I ask him:  "What was that comment about my purse being a suitcase?"  He gets a sheepish smile.  I tell him I understand exactly what he was doing. He's still smiling.  He's so cute.

I wonder what my reaction will be 20 years from now?

3 comments:

JohnStick said...

Silly Dad. If that isn't proof of evolution, I don't know what is.

Unknown said...

so true John. so true.

Jenny Cole said...

Laughed out loud!
So true!