Monday, November 1, 2010

You've got competition

Knock, knock.


Who's there?


Karma.

I heard last week that another Barnes and Noble store is closing. This one is (was) in Fort Worth. A victim of capitalism. Lots of supply, not enough demand. Actually, I don't know why the store is closing but I do know the nation's largest book seller is losing business to the digital book market.  I read that in the WSJ.

I feel partially responsible.  I have a Kindle and now buy my "books" at Amazon. I did buy from B&N at a book fair a couple of weeks ago - using my Amazon Visa card. Oops.

I don't feel guilty, though.  Remember the movie You've Got Mail?  It came out 12 years ago and starred Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. I loved that movie. The scene that still makes me cry is when Meg Ryan's character must lock the door to her mother's independent book store for the final time. She takes one last look at the now empty space and sees her mother and herself as a child dancing around the store. And then your heart strings commence tugging.

Of course the store was closing because Hank's character was opening a superstore just down the block.  Sounding familiar?  How many independent book sellers have gone under in the last decade?  Maybe B&N is getting a little taste of its own medicine. 

I also read in the WSJ that B&N is coming out with guns ablazing (my words, not WSJ) promoting a new and improved digital book reader for children.  Down but not out.  I have to admire that.  Again, with the capitalism.

Well, indie book sellers also have come back with guns ablazing.  I found a great organization and website for anyone interested in new and rare books.  American Booksellers Association is a nonprofit trade group that's been around more than 100 years promoting and protecting independent book sellers. 

http://bookweb.org/

Bottom line: it doesn't matter where you  buy your books as long as you keep buying them.

1 comment:

JohnStick said...

I like small bookstores. Used and new book selling bookstores. I really like this bookstore in Barrington, RI called Barrington Books. I think it is kind of pretentious for a small bookstore, but I still feel like I am doing a good deed by shopping there.