Thursday, July 8, 2010

Where I spent my early years







That's my brother John walking up to the former Lochridge homestead in Spokane, Washington. Back then it was a branch of the YMCA. My dad Frank was the proprietor and we, then four kids, benefited by having the coolest place in possibly the whole world in which to grow up. We could open our front door and take off exploring in the surrounding woods, go swimming in an outdoor pool, skate in the winter on the pond our dad made AND ride horses!!!! Of course not when the grounds were occupied by Y people. But there were many times it was just us family.
John surprised me and my mom by turning into the old homestead. We were on our way to his place at Deer Lake. As soon as I stepped out of the car, I got a blast of pine tree. Washington, as John says, is the Evergreen State. So true. We all enjoyed walking much of the property, recalling where the horse stables were, utility facility (one with chimney, still in original shape), pool, etc.
I was an older toddler when we moved in and lived there until I started kindergarten. I have specific memories: learning to swim, riding horses, exploring the property and nearby grounds with older brothers. One thing that has always stood out for me was the merry-go-round. In one of the pictures, you can see my brother John standing next to a skeleton of the wonderful merry go round. It was thrilling to be there. My life there set the stage for who I am today.
Today the property is managed by a Lutheran Church. I'm glad they are taking really good care of it.
Thans John!



1 comment:

JohnStick said...

Oh, wow! that is so cool! That's where John got bit by a rat in the pool, no? You had such good trip!