Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Ever feel like you're being watched?




Eerie, right? These trees just outside my parents' apartment are called Quaking Aspens. In the top picture you can see my parents' sliding door, red flower in pot sits outside. I didn't see the eyes in their trees until the second or third visit. Now that's all I see.
Quaking Aspens are all over this part of the country. The round leaves are built to respond to wind. In even the slightest of breeze, the leaves bend and flutter, giving the tree the appearance of movement. Thus, their name: Quaking Aspen. You also can hear the leaves fluttering.
The trees also are noted for their horizontal black scars. The scars on this paticular batch of trees are LOOKING at you, WATCHING you. I have decided to think of them as guardians of my parents. LOOKING out for their safety, WATCHING over them in a good way.
Quaking Aspens. I think they got a raw deal in the name department. They need a tougher name. How about Watchdogwoods? or Rattler Tree? or I'll Kick Your Aspen Tree?
Any way you look at them (looking back at you), they are beautiful.