Monday, May 8, 2017

I'll have a hamburger, hold the proselytizing

I was standing in line at a popular burger place with my granddaughters ages 5 and 7.  One was ordering the cheeseburger - plain and dry. The other wanted both a hotdog and corndog. As a grandparent, it is my prerogative to say "yes" to all or none of their requests.  So while a wish for a double order of dogs seemed excessive, it was a no brainer for me to grant.

This place is filled with picnic table seating. Long rows of picnic tables side-by-side. When it's busy, you get a grab-bag of meal mates. Some are friendly, some are not. Either way works for us.

After our order, we head to the fountain drink area. My 5-year-old insists on doing everything herself. Again, an easy granny call. I can even proudly say she never once heard, "be careful." She hears that all day long.  No need to pile on. In fact, that's the point of having grandparents. They do NOT pile on.

I had noticed a seemingly lovely woman enter by herself and now coming over to the drink area. She said to me, "I've never been here. It's really different."

"It's fun. The food is wonderful." Then, feeling overly blessed, I invite her to sit with us if she wanted.

"Over there," I say pointing to the 7-year-old already seated. She followed the direction of my hand but said nothing. No acknowledgement. "Only if you want to .. you're probably getting to go.." Still nothing. I was too forward and had frightened her. No matter. In moments we would be eating hamburgers and hotdogs and French fries.

I was seated a couple of minutes with the girls waiting for my name to be called to pick up our order, when the lone ranger - rangerette? - walked over and sat beside me. Ok. She decided to accept after all. I begin casual chit chat.

"Are you from here?"

"All my life. Grew up here. It's very different now. Where do you fellowship?"

It's been a long time since anyone has asked me that question. Used to be commonly asked here in the South - in the 90s.

"I don't," I tell her.

Her response: "I'm a poet for God."

This woman's idea of breaking the ice is not the same as mine.

Next thing she has her phone out showing us a picture of "Jesus when he's not on the cross. ...I like the pictures when he's not on the cross." My granddaughters are so brilliant. They admire the picture and smile at her explanation. I think the 7-year-old threw in a nod.

I'm not offended by anything this woman presented to us. I was also glad to be a buffer between her and my granddaughters who pretty much dropped out of the conversation once the food arrived.

This woman, who showed no real interest beyond her own life, represents for me a large number of people who long ago lost the ability to think for themselves. She lacked imagination and curiosity. Life is easier and safer for her that way. I can safely say that about her even though we interacted for less than an hour.

I am not sure what was learned or gained. I hope maybe she experienced something she has been missing in her life: kindness? simple pleasure of greasy food? strangers who don't criticize even though they don't embrace?

It was for sure the perfect setting for such an encounter because everything seems better when you're eating the perfect hamburger!!


No comments: