Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Big Sister is watching

I am a little scared of the power of my smart phone, a Samsung Galaxy S5.  It's the overreach that concerns me.  I get that some sites glom onto your cookies and then suddenly a kid in China knows your every move.  Certain ads appear seemingly out of nowhere.  Some even embarrassing.  Never mind which ones.  Although annoying and frustrating, I get how my phone becomes my stalker.

Then there are other behaviors of my phone that I don't get.  At all.  Such as the times I open the screen after it's been resting and a random page appears. 

Take this morning.  I awake my phone by swiping across the lovely faces of my daughter Jenny and granddaughter Jodi, and up pops the screen with the voice activated browser asking me to "Search Bonobo apes."  I kid you not.

Initially, I am confused.  Then intrigued, leaving only one course of action: obey the "S Voice." 

Here's what I found:
 
Bonobo Apes are one of humankind’s closest living relatives, yet most people are not even aware that bonobos exist. These great apes are complex beings with profound intelligence, emotional expression, and sensitivity. The most unusual and compelling feature of bonobos is their society–matriarchal, egalitarian, and peaceful. Bonobos are also well-known for their creative and abundant sexual activity. Their gentle and amorous nature has led some people to call them the “Make Love, Not War” primate. The last great ape species discovered, bonobos could be the first to become extinct unless concerted action is taken now to protect them and their rainforest home.

Get outta town.  So interesting.  But so very, very random. 

Oh well.  I always wanted a Big Sister.