Thursday, April 24, 2014

White supremacy: Goodbye and good riddance

White supremacy has shaped the country's history, especially the South.  It continues to plague good people and institutions.  But, dare I say it?  I believe we are witnessing its demise, played out on the world stage in Nevada of all places. 


Who do we have to thank for this?  Cliven Bundy and Sean Hannity.


For whatever reason, Fox News person Sean Hannity has championed this Nevada ranger in his 20-year dispute with the federal government over non-payment of cattle grazing fees.  Sexy.  Problem is, rancher Cliven is a white supremacist.  Not so sexy.


Even before the world became aware of his bias, he did little to gain support from ANYONE, other than like-minded extremists who live to recite the 2nd Amendment and Fox News with their audience of millions.  Mr. Hannity apparently took special interest and practically adopted the rancher - I am told as I do not watch.  Full disclosure.  I have seen clips on Jon Stewart's show and have read about Cliven in the New York Times.  Again, full disclosure of my own bias.


Why do I feel we are closer to the summit and sight of the promise land?  Youth and technology.  Twitter is all over this story and speeding truth about the man to all corners of the world.  And I say youth because it's their world now to craft as they see fit.  And they see with much better moral clarity than their ancestors. 


Way more clarity than Sean Hannity.

No comments: