Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Stinkin' Diet Coke

I have given up Diet Coke.  Again.

This time is going to be different.  I've said that before too. 

It's addictive.  I know this because I had withdrawal symptoms.  Symptom really.  A killer headache.  Pounding and stabbing and unrelenting.  The kind that laughs at over the counter pain killers.  I use acetaminophen (Tylenol).  It was no match for that DRINK ME pull of the Diet Coke.  Still, I resisted.

Having survived the headache phase, I have been feeling proud of myself and more confident that I can - really have - beat this addiction.  Until this morning.  I was in-between clients who I visit in their homes.  Too far from my own home, I landed at a McDonalds.  I ordered a sandwich - NO fries, thank you - and a medium soft drink.  I don't realize that I don't need this drink cup until I stand before the soda machine.  It hits me!  Wow.  I don't drink this stuff anymore. 

It was one of those classic Good Mare, Bad Mare moments. 

Good Mare: Look, a water thingie.  You can fill that cup with healthy water.

Bad Mare: But I PAID for a medium drink. 

I learned a valuable lesson today.  McDonald's lemonade is damn good.  And I also learned that if I take this thing one day at a time, I just might win!  Stinkin' Diet Coke.  I still love you so...

No comments: