Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Olympic inspiration

Olympic speed skater Emily Scott's story is inspiring.  Her mother is a meth head and hasn't been in her life since she was a young child.  She's now 25 and was raised by a loving father who worked multiple jobs so his daughter could participate in sports.  It was thrilling to watch her compete and see her father in the stands.  She surprised the announcers by blasting into first position and holding it, thus advancing to the medal round, where she placed an impressive 5th.


She inspired me.  I didn't realize how much until last Sunday morning, around 9:30 a.m.  Rush hour at the IHOP.  You know what I mean. 


As we parked in back I could see a few cars pulling in about the same time.  I told Paul to pick up his speed.  Just like Emily.  Rounding the corner, we were in front, just barely, but holding position for sure.  Then, a young woman jumps from a car parked at the front entrance while her vehicle drove off.  Been there done that.  I'm not saying that's cheating exactly. 


I was NOT going to give up.  My competitive instincts, thanks to Ms. Scott, had been stoked. I dug deep.  My short legs made strides not seen this decade (and likely never to be seen again).  Yes, Paul was lagging, but it didn't matter.  First place, gold, was within sight.  Without so much a nudge or an elbow, (because my opponent was that close) I reached for that door and YES!  I got there first!!  


I allowed myself a moment of glory.  Thanks Emily Scott and thanks to your father!!  My senior omelet was my reward.  With turkey sausage.   

No comments: