Friday, February 28, 2014

My father has a girlfriend and my mother approves

My father has a girlfriend.  For real.  My mom has met her and approves of this extramarital affair.


My father is in final stages of dementia.  He doesn't know people, place, time or circumstance.  He was moved into an Alzheimer facility in November.  He will be 90 in July and is still walking and talking.   And, apparently, dating.

There is a real sweetness about my father.  He engages people, smiles at them, jokes with them.  Corny jokes.  Example: "I'm hungry, are you?"  "No, I'm Frank."

Frank began the long goodbye about 8 years ago.  Shirley has shouldered the brunt of his care.  Well, really all of it until she nearly died last fall.  I saw the images of her blocked arteries.  It was close, her doctor said.  So after my mom had triple heart bypass - at age 86 - we made the decision to move our father into a care facility.

And now he has a girlfriend, very normal for folks in my father's condition.  Her name? Shirley!  I kid you not. I haven't met the Other Shirley, but if my mom says she's ok, then she's ok with me.









No comments: