Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Cold Deniers

Texans do not do cold. Mostly, they're in denial. No matter how far in advance the cold is forecast,  practically no one is prepared when the temp dips below freezing.

Last night I attended a season opener for girls' high school soccer. Tuesday Night Lights. (I'm the only one who calls it that). Naturally soccer arrives at the same time as the cold. Every year. Every damn year.

Seeing as I grew up in South Dakota, I knew how to dress for cold weather starting with my trusty jacket that was tested for its warmth on peak of Mt. Everest. I'm pretty sure that's what the tag said. I add a wool scarf around my neck before zipping the coat all the way up. I already am wearing wool socks and wool hat. Last thing to put on is my thinsulate gloves. Finally, I then grab the heaviest, therefore warmest, blanket in our house and set off.

The game already has started by the time I take my seat on the frozen aluminum bleachers. No worries, I have that blanket. Settling in, I notice a group of high school kids seated just above me. They are huddled together. For real seeking human warmth from each other. Why? Because they don't believe in the cold. Why else would they not see fit to pack a jacket when they left home 10 hours earlier?

I couldn't stand to see these kids suffer so I walked my blanket up to where they were sitting and handed it over, telling them to share. A scolding wouldn't make any difference with these cold deniers. I will just have to pack more blankets next time.


No comments: