Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Coach Andrea Scott: A true role model

My daughter Andrea Scott coaches varsity soccer at the high school level.  She's just finished her ninth year.  Three times she's been voted Coach of the Year by her colleagues.  She is a mentor to many on and off the field.  I know this because I have read many letters and emails and texts from current and former students. 


Here's what one former student recently said to her in a letter regarding an assignment in a college literature class:


"Our assignment was to write down a true role model and discuss. ... I chose to write about my hometown high school soccer coach.  Looking over the criteria used to define a role model, without a doubt, you hit every mark.  I feel I needed to write all of my thoughts down because I think it's a rare thing for someone to truly change the course of someone's life.  ... In high school, I was a mediocre soccer player at best.  Everyone knew this.  However, that wasn't the point.  In my four years playing for you, I learned more about life than I ever did soccer - which is the point.  No one ever goes pro from high school soccer, and I think that's what a lot of people miss.  If they would take in the moments and lessons that you give, they will be a better person for it."


I couldn't agree more because my daughter is my role model, too.









1 comment:

paulblog said...

this is so sweet! Yay Coach Scott