Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Mary from Texas calling

I got a new car in December, and with it, a year of SiriusXM free.  I had totally forgotten how great this service is.  And, turns out one of the talk radio shows is hosted by one of my favorite comedians and actors, John Fugelsang.


So yesterday work takes me to Kemp, Tx., which gives me about two hours of radio time, one of those with Fugelsang's show.  I am excited as I tap the preloaded station on the fancy touch screen of my new Jeep Cherokee, wondering what new stuff I am going to learn.  You can't blame me for being deflated as a Brady football when I hear my host and others talking about Sarah Palin and her most recent garbled speech.


Ah, shit!


It then occurs to me to call in and argue that her 15 minutes of fame is up, which I do, and in less than five minutes I am on air talking to John.


For sure I lost the argument.  I said something about it being too easy to take shots at her; yes, it was ok to criticize McCain for his continued support.  Yada, yada.  Then John points out the gazillions of followers she has and makes the case that she still wields a hefty political sword.


After the brief exchange, I was left to think about what I should have said, just like in the Seinfeld episode where George can't think of a good comeback until later.


Here's paraphrasing the host and what I should have said:


John: Her massive support means she deserves our attention.
Me: Two wrongs don't make a right.
or
Me: Maybe if we stopped giving her attention, she wouldn't have such massive support. 
or
Me:  The Jerk Store called and they're running out of Sarah Palin.


No mind.  It gave me something to talk about with my buddy Diane in Des Moines while John wrapped up the Palin bit.  Seriously, I have reached my threshold on the woman.  Diane agrees - and includes Newt Gingrich in the Jerk Store category.


Ok. Wait.  I just thought of one very last thing worth mentioning about SP.  Bill Maher had the best line regarding her ridiculous speech.  "If Sarah Palin suffers a stroke, how will we know?"




Me: She is that rare comedic gift that keeps on giving.  My threshold just expanded.


xxx