Thursday, May 15, 2014

Trend setting

If cleanliness is next to godliness then for sure I am going to hell.


I was inspecting the top of an armoire in my bedroom; the top being at my eye level.  Calling it dusty is an insult to dust.  I am figuring no less than a leaf blower will remove the debris.


Then there's the disaster that is underneath the bed.  Stuff dating back to ... when did we move in?  About 20 years ago. 


I could say it's because we live such busy and full lives, but that would be lying.  However, since I'm going to hell anyway, let's say my house is messy because I can't find the time to clean. 


I really hope my mom doesn't read this.  She did her best.  Our home was always spotless.  Six kids, five of them boys.  One a really messy girl. 


Paul's mom the same.  She had beautifully kept homes.  As a single mom of two boys, she worked outside the home and also managed the cooking, house cleaning and laundry.  Amazing!


Turns out house cleaning has taken a dive on just about every one's priority list.  Multiple studies of social behavior all come to the same conclusion: The amount of time spent on housework has been cut in half since the 1960s.  And women still do most of it.  Just less of most of it to do. 


I see that in my own family.  Two out of three children fit this description.  NOT naming names.  In their defense, they had horrible role models as far as mopping and sweeping are concerned.  And dusting and wiping.  We did OK in the laundry department if you don't count putting the clothes away.


Knowing that the trend is going toward less time spent cleaning, I finally can hold my head high.  Dare I say it?  I think I may be a trendsetter! 


   



No comments: