Sunday, January 20, 2013

When does old age begin?

Paul turned 60 this month.  I know.  It's hard to believe I am married to an old man.

But wait.  I have done my research and it turns out I am not married to an old man. 60 is still middle age.  Unless you are under 30, then you believe I am married to an old man.

What?

Here's the thing.  No one really has established at what age you enter into old age.  One group says 75.  Another group says 54.  Yes, that specific.  Another group says 60.  It's all in your perception.  I love perception. 

In fact, I have perceived old 20-year-olds and young 80-year-olds (hi, mom). 

In the research, it also was pointed out that the older we get, the younger we perceive ourselves to be.  People in their 80s think of themselves as 20 years younger.  People in their 60s knock off about 15 years in their minds. 

The other positive point about aging and not found in the research, is that the older you get, the less you care what others think - or what they perceive about you. 

I turn 60 this year as well.  The last month of the year.  Can't wait!! 

No comments: