Sunday, January 23, 2011

Shirley Lochridge

Shirley Lochridge is my mom.  She's 83 years young as you can see by this photo taken recently in Missoula, Montana.  When Shirley is not outside power walking or skiing, she is taking care of my dad, Frank Lochridge.

My father was diagnosed years ago with a form of dementia. Today he is completely dependent on my mother.  He enjoys most of his life, such as listening to music and walking the hallways of their complex.  Above all, my father likes teasing people and telling jokes.  He may struggle with a name, but never a punchline. 

I admire my mom for so much.  She is the smartest person in our family, although she wouldn't accept that.  We have a lot of smart people in our family, too.  Shirley also has lived her life according to her values: family, hard work, honesty, healthy (mind and body) living, knowledge.  Together, she and my father valued their relationship as demonstrated throughout their 60-plus years together. 

But now, it falls on my mom alone to keep their relationship alive.  She's the nurturer.  She holds my father's hand. She protects him. She loves him.

If my dad could truly see her now, he would be as awed and as proud of her as I am. 


3 comments:

Jenny Cole said...

I agree! Grandma is truly THAT amazing!

JohnStick said...

Great post!! Such a wonderful person she is!

JohnStick said...

Great post!! Such a wonderful person she is!